Ok, let me begin my stating that I have never tried to make a tutorial before, so be prepared for insanely confusing directions and bad pictures, but if you can follow my ramblings you will end up with something wonderful!

Back story, I LOVE Christmas, seriously, I'm one of those people who has a different themed tree each year and have an embarrassing number of tupperware boxes of decorations. The day after Thanksgiving is one I look forward to all year, because it is the day I can FINALLY decorate! However, even with this obsession with Christmas I do not own a tree skirt. It's a crime I know. I have always just used sheer white fabric and convinced myself that it was beautiful because I didn't want to spend the money on a tree skirt that would fail to match the next year (cause each year's tree has to be different of course). However, thanks to Pintrest and many, many hours of browsing I had a huge "ah-ha, great idea!/why didn't I think of this before?" moment. Why haven't I MADE one? I mean really, duh!

Anywho, back to the tutorial! I made this one for my daughter's kindergarten class' "storybook" tree. The teacher has proclaimed me the 'sewing/crafty mom' so I have basically been charged with decorating the tree, which has morphed from a small 7' tree to a ginormous 10' tree that is going to be in the school foyer! Can we say pressure?!? EEK! I warned you of my ramblings, didn't I?

Soo...here we go! Sneak peek at the finished product :)



Since I don't have access to the tree yet I googled around and found some dimensions to base mine on. I decided to make it 50" across, because it is the going to be the featured tree (breathe!). To make the base of the skirt I used the basic principle of circle skirt construction. This tutorial over at MADE is awesome. There is math involved so be prepared!

Use the circle skirt tutorial and a calculator (math if not my strong suit) to figure out your dimensions. I folded my fabric (green felt) in 4ths and pinned the two cut lines. The outer one is 25" out and the inner one was 4". Then cut on the lines and you will end up with a huge fabric donut shape.


I wanted mine to be a little child-like so I scalloped the edges. I just used a sharpie and a toy plastic cup from my daughters kitchen (shh...) and traced semi circles all around the circle. Make sure to do this on the underneath so you don't have marks on the top. Then spend about 20 minutes cutting out all the scallops. Watching 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' helps. Once that is done you could stop and be done, but I can't!


The next thing I did was repeat the process with red felt to make an inner circle. I used a smaller scallop pattern since the circle was smaller. Then I centered the red circle on top of the larger green one and sewed around the inner opening. Of course I don't have a picture of this step. Yup, newbie! Be sure to cut a slit up from the bottom all the way to the center so you can slip it around the tree base. Again, perfect spot to stop! But I can't help myself.

Their tree is based on 'The Gingerbread Man', so I wanted to incorporate the verse from the story. This part took a looooong time. I watched 'Persuasion' this time. Gotta love Jane Austen. First I figured out the size the letters had to be by laying out sheets of paper (took 11) to go around the skirt and divided that by the number of letters in the verse (50ish) so I could figure out how big I could make the font. That's confusing! You could just eyeball it too! I chose MTF Jumpin Jack font because it was thick and not even so it wouldn't look wonky.

I then took some white felt and ironed on my handy dandy (too much Micky Mouse clubhouse) iron on Heat-n-Bond in the heavy duty strength and ironed it on to one side. Be sure to follow the directions because it can be finicky.



I then used my fabulous temporary spray adhesive to stick the pages of letters onto the felt with the iron on backing. I then proceeded to cut out all FIFTY letters!


Then eyeballing it again (again with the poor math) I arranged the letters (front side felt with the iron-on backing on the back) around the tree skirt and ironed them on. Ta-da! Perfect place to stop right? Ha!


 It couldn't be a tree skirt for a gingerbread themed tree without gingerbread men! Of course, I mean sheesh! I repeated the process and cut out some gingerbread men and added them to the top layer. Cute, but not quite right, they definitely needed eyes, right? And buttons? I was going to add ribbons too but didn't have enough.


 I added a white felt seam binding in the center to cover up the raw felt edges (because I am crazy!) and threaded some elastic through it just to tighten it up a bit. And it's done!


I hope I wasn't too confusing! Post or email any questions you have. I will post a picture once the tree is decorated. Crossing my fingers it won't be a disaster!


3 Comments

  1. cute, and I understood the steps, thanks, maybe I'll make a tree skirt this year too, I've always used white shear fabric bunched around the bottom of the tree.

    ReplyDelete