Again, let's pretend it's Tuesday! I saw this gift bag at Hobby Lobby the other day and had to buy it because it was so cute! I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I couldn't resist! I went to my home away from home, aka Target, and found a boys sweatshirt on sale for $2.48. Ah-ha moment! I decided to combine the two and make my daughter a snugly winter dress.


This is only the second time I have made a dress from a shirt so I just went for it. Losing $2.48 wouldn't have been the end of the world. Here is how I did it, making it up as I went along!

The first thing I did (after washing it to prevent shrinking) was to find a dress that I could use for a pattern. I laid it on top and chopped away cutting the arms off and making it into an a-line shape.



I tried it on her and it looked too baggy on my skinny girly so I decided to cinch it a little by taking a piece of elastic slightly smaller than her chest and sewed it to the inside of the dress. First pin it and baste to make sure it is the right size and placement.

ignore the stitching, it's just basting!
nice girly shape

Once I knew it was right I stitched it on with my double needle and a contrasting thread to give it some detail.


I wanted the dress to have longer sleeves, since it is for winter, so I cut off about 1/3 of the original sleeve.


 To make it fit the opening I gathered the top of the sleeve and dress opening before I sewed them together. I didn't take pics of attaching the sleeve since you couldn't really tell what it was, but there are many tutorials out there. I added some white rik-rak to the bottom and more lines of contrasting double stitching.



Then the fun part! I used the adorable bag as my inspiration and cut out some felt appliques.


 I attached them the same way as I did on my tree skirt, but instead of using the no-sew fusing I used the lightweight version that you can sew through. I sewed it all on using the same double stitching.


My daughter LOVES pockets, so I made the "BRR" word bubble into a pocket by doubling the felt and leaving the top open instead of stitching all the way around.

Since she went to sleep long before I was finished I crossed my fingers and hoped I guessed right! Thankfully, I did! Pretty cute winter dress for under $3!






7 Comments

  1. Cute! I love repurposing old or cheap clothing. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart girl you are.....LOVE this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! I was looking for an applique to my sons christmas pijamas, and your snow man seems to be my solution!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love it! Fabulous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Lynne, your etsy store is to die for! My store, which I desperately have to find time to finish!, is based on new designs using vintage pieces. I will be visiting your store soon, I'm sure!
    http://www.pinaforesandpinwheels.com/

    ReplyDelete