Boys week!?! OMG, seriously?!? Eek! I've been stressing since they announced the theme for this week, because in all my 20 years of sewing the only thing I have sewn for a boy was a superhero cape. Although it was fabulous, double sided and appliqued with a Velcro closure to prevent choking, I didn't think that would fly (ahem) for Project Run & Play.

Since I am slightly crazy I decided to go for four pieces, three of which I have never sewn before. I figured if I make four and two were awful I would still have something left! When I finally am able to make a decision, which is a verrrrrry looooong process, I tend to stick with it, so may I introduce my first foray into boys clothing! My little modern day Sherlock Holmes.


I started with a tweed hat in greys, dark green and cream. He absolutely LOVES that thing! It is so soft and doesn't fall off, which is fantastic. The boy has never worn hats before, so huzzah! I had no clue about making hats so I bought this pattern from My Taylor Made. I think he looks adorable with all his crazy curls sticking out, you may ohh and ahh over his cuteness now.







For the shirt I wanted something simple so I could add a design to the front which would peek out in between the jacket. Think House (not my house, the show, it's awesome, love him, anyways..). The tweed hat lead me towards a detective vibe, but I didn't think having the classic image of the dude smoking a pipe would work, so I went for a juice box. So amusing to me. I used the raglan tee tutorial over at Craftiness is Not Optional to make the shirt and freezer paper to "screen print" the image. I made it out of two of my husband's old t-shirts, so I was able to place the pattern in such a way that no hemming was required. AWESOME! He calls it the "daddy drinking juice" shirt.






The jacket was made out of a dark olive green corduroy, which of course doesn't show up in the pics, gah! I lined it in a modern print and added double stitching, which I love! I'm kinda in love with my double needle at the moment. The hat and pants also have double stitching all over them too! I used a pattern for the jacket since I knew there was no way I could make one myself for the first time. It was very easy to follow, you can find it over at Melly Sews. Elbow patches were a must and since I was too cheap to buy real leather they are actually made of felt...shh...







The jeans are made the the softest denim ever using Dana's kids pants pattern over at MADE. I added the "jean" thread in double stitching and made a patch pocket to go with the whole British look. I made a US flag, but it just wasn't cool enough and his cute little bootie is too small for both pockets.




So there ya go! I'm sure 99% of you stopping reading like 20 pictures ago, but if for some reason you want to see more you can go visit my Project Run & Play flickr page.



I am now going to celebrate by eating a dozen a cookie!


22 Comments

  1. What a little man!! The jacket is so, so cute! The patch pockets make that jacket! And the cap?! I wish I could sew like this for Little Man! Incredible. Thanks for linking to Oopsey Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 this! Amazing!! I would love an outfit like that for my little man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowsers! I am in love with this whole. entire. outfit. For one thing, I have a fascination with Sherlock Holmes, so: instant love. But seriously! The freezer paper stencil? and that coat? not to mention the adorable pockets on the pants, and love the green sleeves on the top! For your first go at boy clothes, I'd say you knocked it out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOOO adorable!! I love the theme - the whole outfit fits together so nicely! I agree with Jess, you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER duper cute!! LOVE the jeans pocket! And that shirt? Awesome! The juice box instead of a pipe is PERFECT!! Cuteness! The jacket looks brown in the pics, but it's still cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome outfit! The jacket is definitely my favorite part. I love the lining and the colored thread details. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just adorable, his curls and his outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously love this!! Just popped over from PR&P flickr to find out more about this cute look. Love the jacket (details...amazing!) and that juice box on the tee...LOVE! Makes me second guess uploading my boy outfit this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another knockout outfit! Love that pocket on the pants! Love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Great job! I am loving that shirt and those curls :) Would love for you to come link this up to Trendy Tots at http://areal-lifehousewife.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-she-wore-wednesday-trendy-tots_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omigosh, that's ADORABLE. I have that hat. And I would wear that whole outfit, provided that gorgeous coat (the lining! the patches!) was darted and nipped in at the waist. Another amazing creation by you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your outfit turned out soooo cute!! What an adorable little man in all those curls. I feel so honored that you used my hat pattern. Thank you for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the coat! Everything in the outfit looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I am in love with the hat and the coat. The double stitching all over the coat is fantastic. I've been thinking about my double needle and you are inspiring me to go ahead and pull it out! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. And you little guy sure does have wonderful curly locks!

    --Denise at Sly Needle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the win! Love the double stitching on the blazer and the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I blogged about you and linked back to your cute outfit! See the post here: http://www.mellysews.com/2012/01/saturday-blazer-by-you-and-mie.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the "daddy drinking juice" shirt!!! The outfit is awesome!!! It all looks so professionally made...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me as soon as I saw the hat and his curly hair! Love the whole look. The shirt is a scream with Sherlock sipping from a juice box! The jacket and jeans are fantastic! If you were one of the contestants, you would have my vote.

    ReplyDelete