It feels like my "decade week" look took me a decade to make! After three different designs I finally came up with this fabulous dress! Introducing the "Roaring 20(12)s!"


When I found out this week's challenge I was instantly inspired and planning adorable outfits from the 50s-60s, which I LOVE! Then it occurred to me that everyone will probably pick the same time frame, so I HAD to come up with something else. There are some gorgeous runway looks this season with 20s influences, so that's what I decided on (and watching The Princess and the Frog a gazillion times probably made an impact, but let's pretend I'm all fancy and runway watching, ok? Thanks).

I had this glorious plan with all these sheers, satins, crepes and fringe until, yep, another realization (damn), she would never be able to wear it! Sooo....I decided to update the Roaring 20s to the 2012s and made the whole thing out of jersey! Yep, that's knit folks! It is soooo soft and comfortable.


I based the pattern off a tank top she has and lengthened it to a drop waist. I added the contrasting V shape which was incredibly popular and continued the angle down and wrapped it all the way around the back and finished off with another V in the back.




The top is fully lined and pearls were a MUST!


The bottom is made from 100s of individually sewn on knit diamonds that I brought up the bodice to meet the V detail. I have blocked out how long that took me. It has great spin-ability (totally a word) which is always a plus for a little girl!


Seriously, check out the twirl!

I made a cloche, but it didn't do the dress or the model justice so I paired some fabric flowers with these FANTASTIC belt pieces and buttons from my grandmother's vintage stash to make a headband.



So, there ya go! My decade dress! In case you are a glutton for punishment, feel free to check out more pictures on my flickr group!



15 Comments

  1. Such a fun little dress!!! Little girls would just love the spin-ability factor. I really like the drop waist, framed in navy and how it comes up to a point. I would love for you to share this dress (and any others you have made) at my linky that's exclusively for Girls' Dresses... http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-girls.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is perfect! You are SO talented. I hope you win again this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and fun! My daughters would love this! I would love is you shared with my Blog Stalking Thursday Link Party. http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-stalking-thursday-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome! jersey knit?!?!? and hey, coco chanel used knits, and that was in like the early 30's...so, it's do-able, right? okay, now i've gone and given away the fact that i'm a fashion nerd.
    sheesh.
    anyway, i was just adding my own submissions to the pr&p flickr pool, and laughed when i saw how similar our entries are! i went "roaring '20s" too! great minds and all that jazz...(see what i did there?)
    well, may the best flapper win! ;) hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is A-MA-ZING! I can just see how much you put into it, and it paid off - it looks fantastic! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! I'm so shocked at the number of 20s dresses! I chose it because I figured I would be the only one...fail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, jersey knit. I'm kinda obsessed with it right now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jersey is a great idea. I love this dress. The 20s is my favorite fashion decade. I really like how you used the darker fabric to add interest, but the lighter fabric keeps it modest for a girl. It's a hard decade to pick for kids wear and you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie, I've featured your dress today... http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-features_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! My sisters and I all had flappers' dresses growing up. I love how yours turned out! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I have just been doing some research looking for a simple dress that me and my 11 year old granddaughter could make together. Unfortunately, it seems that so many of the patterns are really frumpy, and I don't want her to be put off dress making for life, so you can imagine how I felt when I gave up looking at patterns and stumbled across your FABULOUS creation!! It is GORGEOUS, STUNNING, WONDERFUL .... in case you hadn't gathered by now, I love it, although I don't think it's something I'd want to attempt with an eleven year old, lol.

    Judi

    ReplyDelete