This week's Project Run & Play theme was an "Earth Day Challenge: Design an earth friendly children's outfit. You can do this by upcycling, using organic materials, or recycled materials."  Very cool. Since  my favorite thing to do besides use vintage pieces is to upcycle pieces into adorable clothes for my Bella-rella.

I made two other outfits. Super cute rompers, one from a man's dress shirt and one from a pair of ladies pants, but they looked AWFUL in photographs! Super cute in person, but total blah on camera. So, here is outfit number three, the Daddy's Little Girl dress!


It's made entirely out of a man's dress shirt I got at Goodwill for $2. Score! The front of the dress is made from the back of the shirt. The bodice is the shirt's yoke and the box pleat adds a little volume to the dress.
ignore the backwards shoes...such a little goof
I made knot straps to mimic a man's tie and added the original pocket back on.

The back of the dress is entirely made from the shirt's sleeves. I ADORE how it turned out! The buttons are still operational, which is great because untying those knots can get frustrating.

Of course she needs a little hair bling, so I paired up a couple of fabric flowers.

I hope you like my upcycled look! You can see more of this and other Project Run & Play outfits on my flikr photostream, cause I know you are dying to see them. Heehee. Off to nurse my broken finger, which DOES NOT like typing....but I bet it would like chocolate....hmmmm

She is definitely Daddy's Little Girl

Photobucket
Visit thecsiproject.com


7 Comments

  1. Oh Stephanie - I LOVE this. The sleeves for the back are such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of using the sleeves! Very original! And they work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love how you used the sleeves, so different from the typical shirt upcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I wonder if it could work in a bigger size? My niece is a little oldre but would still look adorable in your concept! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see some pictures if you make one!

      Delete
    2. I have made this but cant add a photo.

      Delete
  5. I'd love to see the directions for this dress. Very cute. TIA

    ReplyDelete