This week’s challenge was to design a look based around a movie. So, so, so many movies to choose from! I decided to continue my Audrey Hepburn trend and make a dress based off her iconic Ascot Opening Race dress, which is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I ran with the idea of black, white, lace and over the top hats, and this is the lovely confection I came up with!

My Fair {Little} Lady
DSC_0816-003

My Fair Little Lady I absolutely ADORE how this dress turned out! Since this is Project Run & Play I wanted to challenge myself and not just reinterpret a girls outfit into a girls outfit, so I decided to take a fancy woman’s look and transform it into something my 6 year old can wear. She loves it and the fit is perfect, I have forbidden her to grow.

DSC_0640-003

dress 

I made the dress out of this adorable lace {that I got for $3 a yard!}, one of the best parts is that there was zero hemming involved! I laid out the pattern so I could cut the lace at the right place for the hem. One of my better ideas.

DSC_0821-002 

The bodice was drafted from one of her other dresses and I found perfect black and white buttons! The other shoppers at Jo-Anns were probably concerned about me when I started squealing in the button aisle.  

DSC_0827-003

DSC_0835-003

DSC_0686-003

DSC_0851-003

I made an a-line skirt, with the lace overlay being slightly wider so it would float away from the lining. The white lining ends a few inches above the lace to display the details. I added a wide black and white striped ribbon to make the inspiration dress, but added six simple bows to make it a little more girly.DSC_0805-003

DSC_0789-003 DSC_0818-003 DSC_0810-003

 

The simple flutter sleeves are also unlined.

DSC_0778-003

DSC_0691-003

I wanted to make sure that I incorporated some of the main designs of the inspiration dress, so I made a removable lace neck ruff to mimic Audrey’s neckline. I love how it completely changes the look of the dress. DSC_0647-002 DSC_0860-002

DSC_0654-003

 

DSC_0816-003DSC_0877-003  

And, of course, you need a crazy hat!

DSC_0827-003

DSC_0832-003

I must thank Cecil Beaton, who won an Academy award for Best Costume Design, for this lovely inspiration. Check out my flickr page for more photos of this and previous Project Run & Play entries!

DSC_0825-002


4 Comments

  1. So so so pretty! You did an awesome job!! I'm your newest follower. Woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Seriously, it's perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty - the ribbon on the hem is great. My entry for this week was going to be the black and white dress from Sabrina, but after I was eliminated I decided to keep the fabric to make something for myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! I love that movie and dress Melly!

    ReplyDelete