Since I was MIA last Christmas, I thought I would write up some tutorials of the gifts I made last year since there are only 42 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!

I always make my sister-in-law's gifts {which I hope they like...hmm} and while I was wandering through Target, filling my cart with things I didn't need, I saw this placemat on sale for $4, and had a brilliant {work with me here} idea!


The placemat was kind of flimsy...uh, maybe because it was a placemat?? So the first thing I did was iron some interfacing to the backside and found a piece of thicker material to make a lining. I cut the lining fabric just a tad smaller than the placemat and serged around all four sides. I placed it on the back WRONG sides together and just sewed around all four sides to make it one piece.


Fold it in thirds, like you would a letter and sew from the "bottom" to the "middle" on both sides to create a pouch. Make sure your stitching is secure so it doesn't fall apart!


I added a beautiful button {LOVE!} to the top flap, but you could use any type of closure.


Ta-Da! Super easy, cost under $10 and only took about 30 minutes. I was so close to keeping it!


I made one for my other sister-in-law from a faux leather placemat that I found at Pier One on sale for $6 and used a magnetic snap on the inside and sewed a fake button on the outside. The placemat was so thick I was too scared to try a buttonhole.


I love how they turned out and I hope you try it! Send me a picture if you make one and I'll feature your awesomeness!


4 Comments