I blame this party on my husband. While on a Daddy/Daughter date {awwww!} he took her into the American Girl store without knowing how much they cost, VERY.BIG.MISTAKE! She became obsessed instantly. Thank God for Target and their Our Generation dolls that saved me from having to take out a loan to get her a doll. Anyways....back to the party!

Miss Bella recently turned eight {hold me!} and wanted an 'American Girl' sleepover party. Being slightly insane, I agreed.

I am not a fan of evites {LOVE getting them, those reminders are priceless!}, so I went the old-fashioned, stamps included, direction and made these.

Invite printable

And since I tend to go over the top a little {ahem}, I tied them onto doll sized pillows that I made. They were simple to make, killed me that I didn't made mini pillowcases though...sigh.

invite edit

Once all EIGHT girls rsvp'd it was onto the decorations! I chose to set up little areas for the various doll activities, so that the girls would have room to play. I set up a cafe', salon, stable, campsite, fashion design and interior decorating areas. 

The most popular was the salon area, smart girls. It had a hair styling area complete with a salon chair, mini scissors, hair cutting capes, brushes, spray bottles, hair accessories, a mirror and magazines for the dolls to read. There was also a massage table, a pedicure area and a hot tub with hot rocks, that was my eight year old's idea, I kid you not.

Salon

My daughter LOVES horses, so of course her dolls had to have one {thanks again, Target!}! The stable area was really simple, but that horse was definitely put through it's paces!

Stables

The camping area was another big hit. There were two tents, sleeping bags, and a campfire with snack and seating area.

Campsite

The cafe' was set up by her old dollhouse turned American Girl apartment, where there was a little kitchen set up, loads of play food and an incredible table and chair set made by my dad {aka best grandpa EVER!}.

Cafe

I had to find a way to keep EIGHT girls between 6 and 8 entertained so I came up with a few crafts. I set up a 'Fashion Design' area {my daughter is always designing dresses she wants me to sew.} for the girls to make their dolls a pillowcase dress. I sewed eight pillowcase dresses {here is a super simple tutorial}, but left out the ribbon so they would be flat and easier to decorate. I had some fabric markers, which are FANTASTIC, and some ribbons for them to chose from to finish their dresses. They LOVED doing it, and it kept them quiet busy for awhile.

Pillowcase Dresses

For the 'Interior Design' area I set up a painting station, which I knew all these crafty girls would love! I found some canvas on sale and added some paint, brushes, and these adorable little painters palettes, which I had to have! {WAY cheaper in the teacher supply section at the craft store than in the painting section, go figure.}.

Painting

The 'Interior Design' section also included a make-you-own doll sleeping bag craft. I figured tying all those knots would keep them quiet busy for a long time, however I ended up finishing the majority of them at midnight! {Apparently, playing was more fun than tying knots.}. Since the dolls already had pillows I figured they needed sleeping bags to go with it.

Sleeping bags

And here is where I went slightly overboard. With a combination of thrift stores, my daughters drawers and sewing I made eight American Girl doll outfits. Even I admit that's a little crazy. I printed pictures of the dolls to display by the outfits and crossed my fingers that the girls would be interested, because I spent altogether too much time on them! Thankfully, the girls LOVED them! They ran to them right away and wore them all night, whew! I also made a life sized doll box to use as a photo booth.

Dress up

I printed a picture of each girl and used cheap picture frames and scrapbook paper to make faux doll boxes to use as a display for the mantle. It turned out perfectly.

Frames

There were also delicious cupcakes and decorations galore! There are still stars all over my house. {shh!}

Decorations

The girls got to take home their pillowcase dresses, paintings, sleeping bags, picture frame and I made them necklaces with a star pendant and the quote, "Shine-To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path. -Unknown" as favors.

Favors

All in all, I think it was a very successful party and these American Girls had a great time!

Girls




Shared with: Reasons to Skip the Housework Pieced Pastimes Tatertots and Jello Be Different Act Normal SNAP Too Much Time on My Hands Mabey She Made It My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia The 36th Avenue


8 Comments

  1. What a wonderufl party this was! Every detail was perfect, what lucky birthday girl she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She helped come up with some ideas...my little party planner!

      Delete
  2. So cute! Love the girls all dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It reminds me of a sorority picture!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that party has a lot of great details! Well done! I love the dress-up outfits... that would have been something I would be crazy about when I was a kid. And the life-sized doll box... that is really cute. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would have loved it too! It was such fun to see how excited they were.

      Delete
  4. Do you have a downloadable copy of your invitation? I love it but when I save it is kinda blurry. I dont mind paying but don't see a link? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what an amazing party. Imbuing some of your ideas. Loved it

    ReplyDelete