Welcome to week two of Project Run & Play!! I had a great time sewing along last week and am so excited that I was able to participate again this week! This week's theme is "The "Hand-me-down" Makeover. Using hand-me-downs (or upcycled clothing) make something modern and fashionable for your child to wear."


My first reaction when I heard the theme was 'men's dress shirt upcycle', but I've already done that and I figured that it might be a pretty popular route. Then I thought of using vintage linens or clothing, but I've done that {many, many, many times!}, and again it's not all that unusual anymore. I still LOVE to use them, but I wanted to try something that would {hopefully} be unique and intriguing. So here ya go, a dress made from socks and tights!















Oh yes, you read that right SOCKS and TIGHTS!























I had the epiphany when I was throwing carefully placing my husband's clothes into his closet and saw the socks that I had bought him for his birthday {romantic, right?} which were deemed "wrong". Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner, folks! I had zero clue what to do with them, but I knew I HAD to use them! I must have tried four different ways to use them until I figured out that when socks are cut open and serged they turn into GORGEOUS RUFFLY PETALS! Sooooo pretty and girly and not "men's sock-y" at all! 





The bodice is made from an old tank top of mine {after three kids it's time to give up the hope of ever wearing smalls again} that I altered to fit her and added a glorious fluffy ruffle made from a pair of tights with a run that I had been saving to make fairy wings with. 


I ripped the lining out of a skirt {that had once been a dress from Goodwill} to make a petticoat.


I had to add a sock bun of course!


The dress is perfect for twirling...


and jumping...


and being a goofball!


I am still in awe that this dress is made from things that are supposed to be worn on your feet! 


Some extra pictures I had to share! {aka couldn't decide which ones to use!}


Now I guess I should go buy my husband some new socks....


Come back next week to see my entry for the denim challenge! 



Lil Mrs Tori


33 Comments

  1. This is the most creative repurpose that I have ever seen. Socks and tights.....wow. Lastly, it is as cute as can be too.
    Deborah @ Sew Much To Give

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still in a little shock that I thought of it!

      Delete
  2. Super creative! I love the ruffles. My son has recently cut up some of his old, fun socks and with his sisters help, sewn them into a mini blanket which he has deemed super cuddly! :) Maybe I should rethink socks as fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Coming from y'all that means a lot!

      Delete
  4. That is it! I throw in the towel! That is beautiful, creative and just plain amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, very impressive. All of my lost socks look too "used" to make such a crisp & clean panels. Can't wait to see next week's project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were deemed "wrong" by my husband after wearing some a couple of times, picky man! They look better as a dress anyway!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, didn't mean that in a negative way at all. Just realized that could have come off as such. I think you are incredibly talented and this is an awesome remake!

      Delete
    3. I totally didn't take it negativity at all! My husbands normal socks are nasty, hence trying to buy him the new ones! LOL

      Delete
  6. Too clever! I never would have guessed:) Such a lovely dress

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very cool concept. I can honestly say I would have never thought of it and they don't look men sockish at all.
    With Love,
    Scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to seeing what y'all make!

      Delete
  8. This is really cute! I think you have a very gifted mind and heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. {Audrey is too busy frantically digging through the trash to find those unmatched socks she just threw away to leave a comment here!}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you serious??????? Now that takes creativity.....holy cow....amazing!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO cool! I love the result... I would never have guessed that it was made from socks. I love the twirl and ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charity! My daughter looooves a twirly dress!

      Delete
  12. So creative--she's the lost sock fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spectacular idea! and beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very, very clever refashion, Stephanie!!! I love the ruffly effect of the cut socks.

    ReplyDelete