My favorite-ist thing ever is back! Project Run and Play started up again {I just noticed!} and they have changed up the format, which I'm pretty excited about. They must have realized how hard it is to design, sew, photograph and blog something in a week so they lengthened it to a month.


How it works is that at the beginning of each month the PR&P ladies pick an amazing mega blogger to choose one of her tutorials, this month it's Alida Makes and her Bubble Dress tutorial, after everyone submits their designs the blogger picks her top ten favorites and then they are voted on by the interwebz. It sounds interesting and I like the fact they I don't have to try and cram everything into a week! Enough explaining, here's my Bubble Dress tutorial inspired look!

Boho Bubble Dress


First, did you notice  my 70s tint and rounded corners up there....yeah, I'm a dork like that. 

When I found out the challenge I knew that I wanted to use the bubble technique in multiple ways since it is SO simple to do and I love the result. While cleaning out my craft room {aka the black hole of crafting}, I came across this vintage fabric that my mom found in an antique shop and knew exactly what I wanted to do. How beautiful is this fabric? The gold looks like it was painted on, I just love it.


I have never sewn anything using fabric with this type of pattern, so I had no idea what the "right" way to cut my pieces out was, so this is what I did! Tim Gunn would be appalled  I'm sure! 



I drafted a pattern and wanted to cut out the pieces so that everything would line up and be symmetrical. And who would have guessed, but it actually worked! I'm very impressed with myself!





The bodice is lined {so I wouldn't have to mess with facings}, and the sleeves and skirt are BOTH bubbles! Do you know what that means? There was no hemming involved! I HATE hemming. It's evil. Look at those adorable bubble sleeves!





She loves peace signs...hasn't quite mastered it yet...






It's not as twirly as my usual looks, but my daughter LOVES it and wore it to school today. I love that it's age appropriate, but still cute. Here is the usual barrage of pictures, because I'm the most indecisive person ever!


She made me take pictures of her with her fox...she is a hippie!



I hope you like it and be sure to come back in a few weeks to see what the February challenge will be and to see what I've been up to!


70 Comments

  1. This is a beautiful dress and I just love the fabric! I want one for myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do too! I need to figure out how to sew for myself. My kids get all the cute stuff!

      Delete
  2. Does it come in size? Its beautiful and that fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wish I had more of that fabric, but I used every bit of it!

      Delete
  3. Ingenious fabric cutting--I think Tim would be impressed! I love your results, and I love the no-facings-no-hemming concept too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! What beautiful fabric, and you did such an excellent job cutting it, that seems like it may have been intimidating to cut into! I love the way the large mandala surrounds the slit in the collar. Bubble sleeves are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! I always get a little nervous making the first cut into fabric that I love.

      Delete
  5. Oh what a great dress, I love everything about it! I love the colors on the fabric and the way you pieced the details together, and the sleeves are smart too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the bubble sleeves are my favorite part :)

      Delete
  6. what a beautiful model you have! I love the boho bubble dress and she is definitely a fashionista and Americans Next Top Model worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bubble hem and sleeves??? Genius!!! This bold look is definitely one of a kind....I bet all of her friends will want one now :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! The fabric and pattern go perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sleeves are perfection. You did an amazing job. I would totally wear this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your tutorial is fantastic, I think there will be more bubbles in my future...my two year old definitely needs some!

      Delete
  10. This is such a beautiful dress! The fabric is genius

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the coolest! Is it 1969, because it sure feels like it? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my little hippie girl would have fit right in back then!

      Delete
  12. I think your method for cutting the fabric is pretty genius! That's a pretty great outfit... the fabric and pattern design go together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charity! I couldn't think of another way to cut it out! Make it work!

      Delete
  13. Such an awesome dress! I love the boho look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is absolutely adorable. I wish I could sew better, but I just pass them off to my mother-in-law to make for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is so cute on her! Heck, I would totally wear a dress like this myself! I am definitely not the one who sews in our family, but I should probably learn at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really much easier than it looks, I swear!

      Delete
  16. I just love the bubble sleeves. The pictures with the fox are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! She has SO MANY stuffed animals, it's kinda ridiculous, but she loves them all!

      Delete
  17. I love the dress! I used to make Dawn's dresses when she was little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love hearing her say "my mommy made it" :)

      Delete
  18. This is a beautiful dress. I would love to have one in my size.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a perfect summertime dress. I just love the print and beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The print worked perfectly for the dress, I think

      Delete
  20. Like that dress. Perfect model you have there/

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute little dress. And such a cute model too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This turned out super gorgeous! I love the fabric but also the fit is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this turned out wonderfully! I love the fabric but also the cut is darling! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This dress is amazing, I wish I had a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love everything about this dress. The pattern. The colors. The style of the dress. Even the belt and boots. This isn't kiddo style, though. Sadly. Or I would sew her up something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love dresses with boots! I wish I could pull off a dress like this!

      Delete
  26. Darling! Love the fabric and the bubble sleeves and hem. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really wish I could sew!! This is beautiful, and so is the model!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute dress! The pattern is so bold and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an adorable dress! Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The pattern on that fabric is perfect for this dress! I love how comfy it seems as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it! Great combination of pattern and fabric

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is adorable! Your little model did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to bribe her with double dessert!

      Delete
  33. Wonderful work and the model has done a great job!

    ReplyDelete