Praise the crafting gods, Project Run and Play is back! I was doing really well sewing along last season until we decided to home school our monsters kids. That choice has turned my life upside down, but I'm slowly getting used to our new normal and realize that if I don't do something for myself I am going to scream {more than usual}, 
so here we are! 

This week's challenge is to make a look using mostly knit fabric, so here is my 

Modern Bohemian Maxi dress. 





I'm usually not a pattern girl, but I saw the Haven dress by Violette Field Threads and 
HAD TO HAVE IT! I've been waiting for a reason to sew one up! 

I used a Nicole Miller scuba knit fabric from JoAnns and some "leather" to make the look a little bit more grown up {when did she get so big?!}. I adore the print and love that it was a thicker knit so I was able to sew it to the leather without any stretching issues. 


I lengthened the pattern because my daughter loves maxis and the fabric is 
too pretty to make into a short dress!



But the back....you guys....THE BACK, look at it! To die for, right?




And if you have ever been here before you know I am the worst decision maker ever, 
so here are all the other pictures I wanted to add! I took over 300 and had to bribe her 
with cash, so I might as well use them!



I had such a lovely time planning and sewing and I can't wait to make some "me time" to sew along again next week! Head on over to Project Run and Play and see the other looks!

And while I have you all....any homeschoolers out there? Tips for a newbie?? 
Other then invest in lots of coffee... 


33 Comments

  1. I just love this look and the combination of fabrics that you chose. In fact, I just went and purchased the pattern.
    Deborah @ Sew Much to Give

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a great pattern, I'd love to see what you make!

      Delete
  2. Great job. I love the use of leather in it and the fabric is so fun, I want it for me! I am also a home school mom to four kids ages 7, 7, 9 and 11. I've always home schooled and don't know any different. I completely set aside the morning to school and if we're dedicated we can usually get it done by noon or 1pm. Then lunch and after lunch they have "break" where they have to be in their room reading or playing quietly for about an hour. This is a good chance for me to sew or read or whatever! Gives me some sanity in the middle of the day. Then in the afternoon they can finish school if they aren't done, do their own projects, play outside and we have other sports and stuff that start late afternoon/evening. The tough thing is each family kind of has to find their own mojo. Glad that you're starting to make sewing time. For me it's either find time to sew or pay for therapy, I think sewing's cheaper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want one too! Your day sounds a bit like ours, except that I have a two year old running around disrupting everything! It has definitely been a challenge!

      Delete
    2. that is tough... when some of mine were that age I schooled during nap time. :)

      Delete
    3. we try to do the majority before she wakes up....at 12... needless to say she is a night owl and I'm always tired! LOL

      Delete
  3. This dress is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, I know the pattern, but the standard lace wasn't really my style, this however...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My big girl is 10, so she has out gown most lacy things :( Good thing I still have a three year old to dress up!

      Delete
  5. You totally rocked this challenge! Love what you did, as usual...
    We homeschool, and have for 12+ years. Feel free to drop me a line with questions anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The homeschooling is so much more stressful than even I thought it was going to be! Does that ever get better??

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress! I love the addition of leather. It's so grown up! (But not too grown up.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! That knit is amazing! I love that you combined it the leather is all the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! The leather mixed with the knit is SO gorgeous, and I love Violette Feilds patterns. I have a small hoard of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get the Violette dress, should have bought it while it was on sale! Silly mistake!

      Delete
  9. Oh my word! This is so beautiful! I really love the leather details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is so fun and pretty! I love how the leather compliments the knit fabric so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing dress, I feel like I want this one in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the addition of the leather! Home-schooling can be rough... but I think it's worth it! (My husband and I were both home-schooled.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I was home-schooled from 4th-college :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous fabric and a beautiful dress, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the leather accents- how original and fresh. The fabric is to die for too. You have me cracking up with your cash bribe...I have an 11 year old and I totally get it. I popped over from Threading My Way:)

    ReplyDelete